Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Defamation and slander plus compensation claim please, north

Hi, defamation and slander plus compensation claim please
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: north Wales
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have received abusive and defamatory emails from a golf club who loaned conferencing equipment from me some 18 months / 2 years agao, I have been trying to have it returned without success, last Friday I visited the club to retrieve my equipment to find it was mostly broken, missing parts or just plain missing. I informed the club manager that I would seek compensation for replacement of the items when a torrent of slanderous and abusive emails started to arrive, i have since received, from a committee member further emails grossly lying
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have documentation, texts and letters confirming my story as true and accurate. I feel I have been personally injured, slurred in character

Hello I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could use the 5 stars to rate my advice once I have provided it you.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
email is fine

Thank you for your enquiry. There are really two parts to this question, both of which I am happy to address. Firstly, in relation to the damaged equipment, you can make a claim against the club for the damage to the equipment. You would have to raise a small actions claim against them but you can do this easily online and you will have to out line the (current) value of the equipment in the claim and that is the sums you will enter into the claim along with an outline of the issues surrounding the damage. You can complete the forms for a small claims action easily online. You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory. If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to. You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date. On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge and they will response. The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime. In terms of a defamation claim. In order to prove defamation of character there are two “barriers” which you have to prove. Firstly, you have to show that there has been a publicised statement which is to your detriment. You have to be able to show that it is not true. So just for an example, if you have been convicted of a crime, and maintain your innocence, and someone publicises this on social media you wouldn’t have a case as you have been found guilty by law. You have to be able to show that the statement is untrue. Secondly you have to be able to show that you have suffered, or are likely to suffer a detriment due to the false information which has been shared about you. If you can do both of these things then you will be successful in your case for defamation.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be recognised for my response by the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
email is fine you need to provide me with some detail and level of action please before committing payments. thank you

I have already provided my response above, I will copy it here for you;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Thank you Ross, I have asked for a freedom of information request to the club for who has purported the slander, it looks as if the golf club will not provide that, however they have 30 days to provide or I go to the commissioner. I will be gathering the 'evidence' in full now. Can I come back to you when the golf club break the law as well? if you could let me have your email, we can talk and proceed at that time. very many thanks. looking forward to your reply. kind regards. Noel I will click the 5 stars in thanks too