MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

In 2013 our sister (sister of my brother and I) was given

In 2013 our sister (sister of my brother and I) was given sole lasting power of attorney over our father’s property and financial and health affairs.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are all in England Our father died in June 2018
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My brother sister and I are joint executers and beneficiaries of our fathers will. Before our fathers death in 2018 our sister 1. spent much of our fathers money on herself and 2. Took all his valuable possessions for herself. Was she allowed to help herself to his money and possessions under the power of attorney in her favour?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of yet

Good morning, I am sorry to hear or your situation. I am a 20 year qualified private client solicitor and I would be happy to provide you with a response.

Marian

As Attorney for your father your sister is not permitted to use your father's money for herself or her family. They are entitled to nominal gifts for birthdays and Christmas along the lines of what your father would have given had he been able to.

As this amounts to financial abuse and also abuse of her position as Attorney you should report this to the Office of the Public Guardian who will take action if necessary. The website is https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-public-guardian

And their contact details are below

Contact OPG

Office address

PO Box 16185
Birmingham
B2 2WH

United Kingdom

Email

*****@******.***

Telephone

0300(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you very much for the advice.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Bye

Thank you, ***** ***** need any further assistance?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No that’s very kind thank you