MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

My Uncle is a British Citizen living in Johannesburg where

Hello, my Uncle is a British Citizen living in Johannesburg where he has been for the past 50+ years. He is currently in hospital and the doctors have advised us that he is in the last stages of life. We are unable to travel due to COVID-19 restrictions. How do we arrange a cremation and repatriation of ashes (as per his request) and how does the system work in respect of his will as beneficiaries of his estate are in the UK?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: His will is being held in a bank in Johannesburg
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you, ***** ***** need to know where to start

Good afternoon, I am sorry to hear of your situation. The doctors should be abe to give you the contact details of a local funeral directors, if they cannot then you will be able to find these on the internet with a Google Search. I would think they will need quite a lot of fees in advance.

Regarding his Will, who are the executors? I assume that all of his assets are in Johannesburg?

Marian

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’m not sure who the executors are, I believe it might be his lawyer. He advised my mother that he had made a will and she is the sole beneficiary. Most of his assets are in Johannesburg I believe, although I am aware of several overseas bank accounts.

In that case the executor should make the funeral arrangements and repatriation of the ashes. They will also administer the estate based on the fact that your Uncle is a resident of South Africa.