How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2103
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I live in a private rented house. It’s a block of 6 terrace

This answer was rated:

I live in a private rented house. It’s a block of 6 terrace house and we are in the middle. We have a few different types of mould and damp growing around the walls. Some behind the wardrobes (no light) and some in the bathroom and around windows. Our landlord has told us to get some special paint and do it our selves.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve contacted him on 3 occasions and nothing had been done. We’ve got a 6 month old baby living in these conditions also.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He’s trying to get someone to put an extractor fan in the bathroom but I don’t think that will resolve the issue. He’s blaming it on the age of the house.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We live in leigh


Welcome JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Please can you confirm whether your agreement is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We have signed a tenancy agreement. I’ve signed it, the landlord has and a witness. The tenancy agreement states that any damaged caused by us that we have to resolve it. I’m struggling to understand where I lie in who fixes the problems with the damp and mould.


Thanks for the further information.

The Landlord and Tenants Act imposes a repairing obligation on the landlord and it is likely your tenancy agreement inserts such obligations too. Further the law states the Landlord must ensure the property is in a habitable condition.

Therefore on balance the landlord may be liable to repair the mould issue in the property. If you undertake any repairs and more damage is caused the landlord could seek to use your deposit to fix this damage. Therefore I suggest you notify the Landlord to fix the mould issue and if he fails to do so you will consider filing a complaint with the local council.

Please note the local council can step in to force the landlord to consider the issue ASAP.

Hopefully when you mention the law and the threat of reporting him to the council the landlord will undertake the necessary repairs.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you