How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35933
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mum was in an abusive relationship (not married), it got

This answer was rated:

My mum was in an abusive relationship (not married), it got really bad to the point she was removed from her home and put in women’s refuge. The other person was left in the bungalow whilst there she didn’t pay any of the gas or electric bills and now the company are saying that my mum needs to pay £450. What can she do about this please as she is still traumatised from all the abuse and is no living alone away from family, friends and her grandchildren which is none of her fault.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: The other persons social worker said she would sort it but hasn’t and my mums solicitor didn’t do anything about it either.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in?
Customer: Merseyside
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really, it’s just the electricity/gas company payment that i need answering please. Who should pay it, the other person or my mum (was in my mums name).

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will respond further within a few minutes

Does she know where her former partner is now?

Who lives in the property now?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Her former partners location is not known and my mum was forced to sell property whilst in refuge

Then yes I am afraid that she is liable for the debt as the bills were in her name annd the service provided to the property that she owned.

If you can trace her ex then she will be able to sue him to recover the funds

I am sorrry that the news is not better -please ask if you need further details

Clare and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you