SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

My garage wall is on my property, but my neighbour is

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Hello, My garage wall is on my property, but my neighbour is growing ivy on it. This is a nuisance as the ivy grows over the roof and also into the eves. He clears it back occasionally, but I'd like to require him to cut it back more severely, or remove it all together. What are my rights ? Robin
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Only talked to him. I'd liked to know what I can do, if pushed. So that he might be more helpful
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Winnersh near Reading. A detached house.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just answer, i am a solicitor in England and Wales and happy to guide you. If your wall is on the boundary line and is acting as the boundary then they could argue that they are growing the ivy on their side of the boundary. So to ask them to remove it all together will be difficult, you would not have legal grounds to do so. However, if the ivy is growing onto your garage wall and on the roof then that is encroachment and they ought to stop this and you are entitled then to require them to remove the encroaching ivy and i they refuse you could get a contract to chop it and get them to reimburse you for the cost. If they are not reasonable you may have to apply to court for an injunction order against them. If I can clarify further please do not hesitate to send your follow up questions, I am more than happy to guide you. All the best

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks for your help

You are welcome, I am glad I could help. All the best.