Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

My landlord has put a cctv camera at the hallway which faces

Hi, my landlord has put a cctv camera at the hallway which faces the entrance door & the staircase for security for any intruders. Is she allowed to do this.

Hello I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could use the 5 stars to rate my advice once I have provided it you.

Thank you for your query. The simple answer is yes. When it comes to video surveillance, what the law says that as long as you are not being recored in a place where you have a reasonable expectation of privacy then a recording is permissible. Therefore as the CCTV (although in your close) is not invading your privacy then they are allowed to do this. I appreciate that being outside of your door may feel like an invasion of privacy however, they way it is viewed is that since neighbours and other other people would see you in this area you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy and therefore they are allowed. Obviously if the landlord staring surveying you and led to cause for harassment then this is another matter, however if they have put these there for security reasons then they are perfectly entitled to do so. I hope this answers your question.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be recognised for my response by the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks