Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have had my emails copied and private information

I have had my emails copied and private information circulated by an individual within my work place am I able to take any legal action against her?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Birmingham UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have called in HR who have interviewed the staff that knew what she did and taken statements from them and they have dismissed her for gross misconduct
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am trying to see if I can download the CCTV footage of her taking photos of my emails she has disclosed incorrect private and personal information to professional colleagues

Hi, thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you with this matter.

Whilst you could potentially take civil against the individual for breach of privacy, the issue that you would need to consider is whether the individual has financial means to settle any damages.

The High Court and the Court of Appeal set out the approach to privacy damages in 2015. Damages can be recovered (1) for the infringement itself/the loss of control over the private information and (2) distress, anxiety, injury to feelings and embarrassment suffered as a result of the breach.

In some circumstances, it will additionally be possible to recover financial loss where a claimant can prove this has been caused by the breach.

A successful claimant will normally also be entitled to recover most of their legal costs.

However, as I have said, whilst it is possible, a practical consideration is whether this person has financial means to pay any damages awarded if your claim was successful.

I hope this assists. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your advice, I would like a legal letter sent out to them placing them on notice stating that if they continue using the information then I will take it further. Who should I instruct to get a legal letter drawn up, I mean do I need someone who is a specialist in this area?

Hi, a letter of claim should suffice and put them on notice.

If you look at the Law Society Find a Solicitor page https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ you can search for solicitors in your area who can assist. Look for someone who deals with defamation, harassment and privacy law.