How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78669
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son was assaulted, the witnesses will not give a

This answer was rated:

My son was assaulted, the witnesses will not give a statement as they are scared of the person that did this, the investigation has been dropped. Is there anything I can do
JA: Have assault charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: it didn’t get to this stage and the charge was dropped
JA: Where did the assault occur?
Customer: in an outside area about a mile from out home
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No this is basically it in summary

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you

Thank you.

I am sorry but I cannot giveyou good news. I'm afraid you are in difficulty here.

I have to tell you the truth.

I am sorry but it would be wrong of me to avoid givingyou the downside of your


He does have the option of a victim's rightreview although , in all honesty, there is no point really.

The issue here is not that the police havetaken this decision but that the witnesses refused to make a statement andultimately , in the UK, there is no offence of refusing to help the police withtheir enquiries. Nobody can be forced to make a statement. Even if this werereviewed , that would not change and that is the ultimate problem.

I don't know whether they need their evidence. Isuppose your son is made an allegation but it would obviously be much strongerwith their evidence.

He can always Sue in the civil courts althoughhe would have the same provenance problem

I'm sorry but this is just not against the law

I am sorry but I have to tellyou the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you myopinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion.Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting tolose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even thoughthey have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a goodchance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to everylegal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a countycourt judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard inthe magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.


Do you want me to call?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This is fine thank you and pretty much what I was expecting I think I just needed to hear it professionally and to tell my son I have tried. Thanks again

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully,I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions.Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.You can also bookmark my profile

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks I’ll keep your link

I am glad to have helped