How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12019
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have a dispute with a lawyer who badly advised me, I have

Customer Question

I have a dispute with a lawyer who badly advised me, I have written a complaint in accordance with their complaint procedures but the LLP has given it scant investigation and say there is no basis. I want to progress the complaint, do I go through the Law Society or an Ombudsman
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have written a full overview of the complaint and sent it to the LLP's complaint department
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will do my best to resolve this quickly for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. Yes, so there is an Ombudsman which can deal with the complaint assuming the law firm doesn't resolve this for you.
Once you have the law firm's final response, which it sounds like you have, then you can involve the Legal Ombudsman here :

The Ombudsman will investigate and their decision is binding on the law firm, but not you. So if the ombudsman did not help you, you still have the option of going to court if for example your law firm was guilty of professional negligence through bad advice.

More to follow....

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Or could I go straight to the Law Society?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

You could report to the Law Society but if the law firm has also acted in breach of their regulator's rules (the Solicitor's Regulation Authority) then you can report them. The SRA has the power to fine solicitors, rebuke them, or even strike off a solicitor from the roll (and they can also close down a law firm too in serious cases).
The SRA can be contacted on 0370(###) ###-####
If you have lost money due to the law firm's conduct then a professional negligence case can be brought against their professional indemnity insurers. You will need a law firm for this as the claims are complex.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I am all good, I will go through the Ombudsman,
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question which is easy to understand - please feel free to ask me anything else. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Thanks for using our services and have a good day,