How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78885
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I hope this finds you well. I was wondering if as a company

Customer Question

hi I hope this finds you well.I was wondering if as a company you offer 30 minute or 1 hour meetings to discuss a legal matter.I have to attend court in Barking on 13/11 with charges against me of assault by beating.
The short story is I am a carpenter who had an argument with an electrician when working on a project building a hospital for Covid 19 in April. In the argument I punched the electrician once then I collect my tools and left site.A week later I had to attend the police station to give an interview. The officer in charge of the case thought the matter wouldn’t go any further but a few months later I received a letter stating a court date.
I am happy to represent myself in court as it is such a small matter and I don’t have any previous court conversions against me for anything like this.thank you for your time.Kind regards *****: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in the uk, I haven't spoken to a lawyer yet
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven't taken any steps yet, I was looking for a lawyer to talk with this week
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am happy to attend court myself I was just looking for some legal advise first. I can be contacted by email on.***@******.*** or by phone on***********
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

What would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply, I would like to know what the best option would be for me to take.
I got in an argument on a building site when I was building a hospital for Covid 19 in April.
The argument ended in me hitting somebody and I have now been charged with assault by beating and need to attend court in the uk on Friday.
The hospital project I was working on was very stressful it was the start of the pandemic and everyone was afraid of this unknown virus.
The argument started when an electrician started shouting in my face after I tried giving him advise on health and safety and asked him to put his mask on.
I felt threatened and feel if I did not hit him he would have attacked me. There was only one punch involved. I now need to attend court and was looking for advise on what to do about the court hearing. do I plead guilty or plead self difference? I am looking to get the matter ended without a big charge. thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Thanksfor the information

On the face of it , you seem to be raisingprivate defence. If that is right then you can plead not guilty and the matterwill be set down for trial but you will have to identify the issue to thecourts which I suppose is private defence until then which witnesses you wantto attend. The only thing you need toconsider though is whether or not this was really a reasonable reaction . Selfdefence is a fairly narrow defence only allowing you to do what is reasonable. ObviouslyI haven't seen the case and had chance to assess the evidence but whether apunch in the face is really necessary and reasonable is open to question.

I suppose that you have tried to get legal aidand failed probably because of the earning threshold.

You might be able to use the duty solicitor atcourt.

If you are having a trial though then youwould have to deal with the issue of funding at some point

Can I clarifyanything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!”