How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2732
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

The mother of my child wants to move away quite far which

Customer Question

Hi the mother of my child wants to move away quite far which will be impossible to spend days with my daughter also we now split 50 percent of time with her and I don't want to lose my daughter is it possible to make her stay close by that my daughter can see her dad
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Norfolk
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 23 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you I never done any harm on my daughter I always spilt 50/50 of days spend with me so she spends equal time with me now she wants to take away my daughter away from me what can I di
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  james bruce replied 23 days ago.

Sorry to say, but you cannot "make " the other person stay where you want them to be.

If any parent wants to, or needs to move then that is their choice.

Child arrangement, visits, care etc would still need to be sorted out. They should remain equal where possible. You may be able to seek a court order to stop here moving temporarily until such conditions and matters have been fully addressed for all concerned.

You may find it more appropriate to instruct a family law firm to represent you, especially if the matter may need to move to the courts to ensure you have equal care of your child.

It may be helpful to instruct a local solicitor who specialises in this area of law. You can find a local firm using the Law Society website.

Once on that website, you can click on the find a solicitor option located just above the Law Society logo. Select quick search, then select the area of law required and enter your post code. A list of local firms will then be displayed.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What's your advice on the matter
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
How can i have equal time with my daughter and her living 100 miles away?
Expert:  james bruce replied 23 days ago.

If your partner needs or wants to move, that cannot be stopped. Obviously, an exact 50/50 split cannot always work, what with school , distance, work etc, but that is something that as parents you will need to agree and work out. Sorry it sounds hard, but that unfortunately is the nature of the law. You can consider custody of the child, no doubt the mother would object to that. But that could make her think twice before moving away.

Expert:  james bruce replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.