james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Is this confidential advice? I gave a statement to police

Customer Question

Is this confidential advice?
JA: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Lawyer and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems.
Customer: I gave a statement to police regarding a crime against myself; I didn't sign anything but I am supposed to give a full statement this week. They also took a photocopy of notes I'd made. Can I decide not give the full statement and if I do might they still investigate?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: What do you mean by steps?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thank you
Expert:  james bruce replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Once you have made a compliant to the police and they start to investigate that complaint, then yes, you can decide not to give any further statement if you wish, that is you right.

However, the police can still continue their investigation if they wish to and can use any evidence supplied to them to date. They do not require your permission to continue with any investigation.

Whether they do or not, would depend on the nature and seriousness of the complain that you made originally.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks. Even if I've not signed a statement, and that is the only evidence they have?

Yes that is correct, it is still sufficient to make an investigation if they wish to.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.