JoeN819
JoeN819,
Experience:  Expert
109896636

Please I have a compliant against a security alarm company

Customer Question

Good morning, please I have a compliant against a security alarm company over outstanding payment?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have sent several email, made phone calls and lately the collection was passed to a collection agency who could not enforce collection of the said outstanding following my proof of cancellation.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess that's all about it
Expert:  JoeN819 replied 19 days ago.

Hello - Welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to read of the above. I shall do my best to help. How much is outstanding? Have you checked the contract for terms and conditions on cancellations? If yes, what does the contract say in relation to cancellation/termination?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you , the amount is £300.00. I cannot remember the details of the policy. However, this has been on going from December 2019 when it was reported by them that I had not paid. I resorted that my payment day was the 20th of the month and they send harassing letters, phone call and emails requesting for money from the 6th of each month. I told them if checked, and is confirmed am not owing, I would want to cancel. So, they came back on a later mail to confirm that I was not owing and I responded that was it. Cancel my subscription. Later on I made several phone calls to them as they tried to woo me back as a customer but I was done. Then I received this email titled Re: Cancellation and therein tried to woo me to accept a reduced monthly fee but I was not interested anymore and left it at that. About a month ago I got a letter from a collection agency asking that I was owing Verisure their client £300 and I said t them there is much more that I wanted them to understand and as such forwarded all the correspondences to the collection agency. After 3weeks they came back and said the money still had to be paid and I said no way, I will consult with my lawyers.
Expert:  JoeN819 replied 19 days ago.

Thanks very much for this. Very strange that they confirmed you were not owing anything and then you now receive a letter from a collection agency threatening enforcement action. I would double check this with the company first to make sure that the letter from the collection agency is legitimate and not a scam as that often does tend to happen. If the company confirm that you are in arrears, you should challenge this and get them to prove this. See to what extent you can make an official complaint and follow this to the very final stage. If they insist you owe them money and cannot prove this, they are likely to be in breach of trading standards and you may also want to threaten a report to Trading Standards (who can be contacted on 03454 040506).Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.