F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I'd like to have a call with an inheritance lawyer regarding

Customer Question

Hello, I'd like to have a call with an inheritance lawyer regarding some questions my family has + eventually hire the lawyer for all the paperwork.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: it's a case regarding a person who passed away in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that it should be a lawyer experienced with inheritance
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
My mother's aunt has passed away. She is a British citizen and she passed away of old age in her house.
After not receiving our calls from abroad a relative contacted the police who found her dead in her apartment.She has not written any will. Her 2 siblings have passed away. The only ones that I understand can inherit from her are her nephews and nieces (my mother and her 2 siblings). However, her brother also had a wife before he passed away and we are wondering if she is also allowed to inherit a part.we also eventually need a lawyer as my family is not based in the UK and my mom (and probably my uncle) will come to sort out everything (she owns a house in the UK and has several bank accounts).thank you
Expert:  F E Smith replied 20 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

to clarify -

your aunt lived and died in UK and that her estate is also in the UK?

has anyone appiled for probate/letters of admininistration?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
My aunt is originally from lebanon but moved to the UK decades ago and lived there most of her life (and became a British citizen)
she has bank account(s) in the UK and abroad as well (US and Lebanon from what we know), but we don't have any of the details unfortunately. She also has a house in the UK.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 20 days ago.

I’m afraid that we are specifically not allowed to take instructions from here.

If the site were to be a source of potential clients, we would no longer be independent because we would have an interest in pursuing litigation. With no interest in pursuing litigation, we can be really objective with our view is to whether something has a good chance or a limited chance of success.

In any event, for logistical reasons you would be better using a local solicitor .

You can search the Law Society website www.lawsociety.org.uk by postcode and specialism.

If a person dies without having written a will, then they are said to be intestate. There are statutory rules as to who inherits.

With no spouse and no children and no siblings it would go to Anne’s uncles and nieces.

This will give you a flow of who gets what: https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

However if she had 2 siblings and the siblings had passed away but themselves had children, the children would get the share which their deceased parent would have got.

So if for example she had 2 siblings and one passed away with no children and the other one passed away leaving 2 children than those two children would inherit the whole estate divided equally.

Children of a beneficiary who has predeceased will get the parents share.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES