F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

How do I find the solicitor who is handling a relative's

Customer Question

How do I find the solicitor who is handling a relative's will? The relative is very elderly, lives alone with no close family, is currently seriously ill in hospital.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No-one has ever seen the will or been given a copy. She has always handled all her affairs by herself. Her present circunstances in hospoito precludd a direct question. werself.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She has lived in the same area for 90 years so the chances are she used a local firm of solcitors for her will.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

are you a relative?

does she have family visiting?

and is she not able to tell anyone where the will is?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
1. I am one of several nephews. 2. No. 3. No, she has always kept such matters to herself, and her current medical situation precludes asking her a direct question.
If it helps, she lives in Gloucestershire and the two nearest towns are Lydney and Chepstow.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 22 days ago.

There is no central register of Wills although there have been quite a few attempts to get one together. There is currently only one register that I know of called Certainty although in 30 years in the legal profession, I have ever only known one will to be found using that system because it incomplete at best. It’s a voluntary thing.

Solicitors regularly get letters from other solicitors and relatives asking whether they hold well for a particular person. Many solicitors don’t even bother looking.

There is no magic way of finding out who wrote the will or who is dealing with the estate when the person has passed away.

If the person is seriously ill in hospital then obviously nobody will be dealing with the estate until such time as the person has passed away.

There may or may not be a will and it would be for the nearest relative to deal with the estate and if they can’t find a will, then deal with the estate under the rules of intestacy.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES