How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1922
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I have a problem with debt collection agency. They tried to

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a problem with debt collection agency. They tried to collect a council tax debt which I paid to the council in full but now they are trying to claim 400GBP in fees and are threatening removal of property. Can they do this?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: SE184PS
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 17 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. My name is***** and I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope my answer can help you today. Can I confirm what are they claiming the fees are for?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Legal fees. Visits to the property. Misc charges. Compliance fees. But the original claim was a council tax debt which arose because of a mix up with the council and which I have paid in full over a year ago. Do you need itemised billing items?
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 17 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. If they are a debt collection agency they cannot claim these funds. I would advise that you write them a letter setting out your claim and confirm that all debts have been repaid and thus the case is closed. You may want to instruct a solicitor to draft the letter on your behalf using one of the options below. The solicitor will be able to weigh all the evidence before them and help you build a strong case. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 17 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!