12826847

An ex partner of mine (and still a very good friend) is

Customer Question

Hi, an ex partner of mine (and still a very good friend) is being held at HMP on a charge of murder. I was interviewed by the police as my number was on his phone. I had a four hour interview where they asked lots of probing questions about our relationship and current friendship. The CPS has now sent a letter telling me to keep April 2021 free as I MAY be a witness for the police.
JA: Does he have any upcoming court dates on the murder charges?
Customer: All I know is his trial is in April next year. I have been told by the police not to speak to him or members of his family. I didn’t asked to be a witness and really don’t want to stand against him. I feel if I was contacted by his barrister there would be a good chance I could support the defence as I know about his struggles with mental health. I really need advise about where I stand in all of this as I was nothing to do with the what had happened and can only tell the courts about his mental health demise.
JA: Where did the murder occur?
Customer: birmingham, Solihull.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so, thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What rights do I have. Have I categorically got to stop contact with my partners family? Do I have to stand as a witness for the prosecution? The only advise I’ve had is from the police. I’d like to know what my rights are in respect of this case. I am a friend of the defendant and am struggling with being told I am not or should not be speaking to his family. I have known them all for a number of years prior to this incident.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Thanksfor the information

You are not on bail and so in principle youcommit no bail act offence by contacting him.

However given the seriousness of the charge thereis a risk of other offences if you are going to discuss the evidence.

Your statement would have been tendered to thedefence if you were helpful to them . They would have seen your statementanyway and it may very well be that that is why they want you. Ultimatelyyou've only been called to court because the defence want to ask you questionsas otherwise this would be agreed.

As to the issue of whether you have to standwitness, if you try to retract now they will summoned you. This is a murder.

Can I clarifyanything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!”