How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarianC Your Own Question
MarianC, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 782
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MarianC is online now

I previously filled in this section, saying that I need

This answer was rated:

I previously filled in this section, saying that I need advice from a Solicitor about Inheritance Tax, but, now, I have received an E:Mail, giving me instructions, following clicking on this link, about entering my E:Mail address and supplying a password, etc. "into the appropriate fields", etc. etc., but, unfortunately, there are no such "fields" on this page. Thus, for the time being, may I, please, simply ask if I am able to telephone a Solicitor there ("2 Solicitors are online now")? Thank you.
Linda Steliou (Mrs.)
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I wanted to speak to a Solicitor as it is a rather complicated matter. However, I shall try to condense the "saga"!
My Husband owns a house in England and two on Salamina, Greece. He has been advised that he must, in England, declare the two on Salamina, and his concern is that, upon his death, the British Government will take thousands and thousands of pounds from what he has worked so hard for all of his life to be for the benefit of our two Daughters. One Daughter lives and has her own house in England. Our other Daughter lives in America whereas, aside from owning a property in England, she has her own house in Seattle. My Husband thinks that, in order to avoid the Government taking all that money, he should transfer the house in England into the names of one or both Daughters. However, the one in American has told us that she has inordinate problems in so far as, although she and her American Husband both want to move back to England, the Law there, apparently, dictates something like that her Husband would not be allowed to do so for something unbelievable like five years, during which time our Daughter should be there and prove that she would be his Guarantor, in spite of the fact that we are sure he would soon obtain employment as he works in the caring profession. Also, as she would be seen to own three properties overall, we just don't know how to deal with all this. Please can you advise us? It especially upsets me, as well as my Husband, because he was extremely poor when he was born and, being the first-born Son in a Greek Family, he has strived all his life to take care of his Parents and five younger Brothers, throughout their lives (!), as well as our Daughters and me, and he has always wanted to ensure that our Daughters would never have the same financial worries and commitments.
Thanking you in anticipation, I remain, Yours faithfully, Linda Steliou (Mrs.)

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Good morning, thank you for your question. Can you tell me if you and your husband are domiciled in the UK please.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 18 days ago.
DearCustomerMany thanks for your prompt reply. Our main home is in Morden, Surrey, in England, and we use the two villas on Salamina for breaks and for Family and friends to have holidays. My Husband and I are having to stay on Salamina now due to the outbreak of this terrible coronavirus, which is even more of a worry because, in England, he has regular check-ups for his high Blood Pressure and prostatism. I do hope you can solve the problem with regard to Inheritance Tax, as that would save him (and me) at least one great worry. Thank you in anticipation. Yours sincerely, ***** ***** (Mrs.)

Thank you, ***** ***** quite difficult to give exact advice without completing an entire overview of your joint financial estates. Any one domiciled in the UK pays IHT on their worldwide assets. This is not an issue on the first death as all the assets usually pass under the spouse exemption with no tax. On the death of the second spouse then tax is payable on both estates on amounts exceeding one millon. This means that everyone has an exempt amount of £325,000 plus £175,000 if one property is left to direct descendant's. You cannot claim the residence allowance for more than one property. So it depends on the overall value of your estates.

Good morning, do you require any further assistance?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Dear *****nneC,Thank you for your latest E:Mail, from which it would appear that you did not receive the last one from me.
Hence, I shall repeat my request in that. Please could you advise me what you feel would be the best solution, e.g. should we sell the house in England and buy, perhaps, a small Flat, as we still need our main residency to be in England in order, e.g. to receive medical attention. Or, from the financial aspect in regard to Inheritance Tax in the U.K., should we sell the house in England and settle in one of our houses on Salamina? "In a nutshell", what is the best thing to do, overall, to try and ensure that our Daughters, not the Government, get what my dearest Husband has worked so hard all his life-long to ensure that our Daughters will never have any financial worries. Thanking you in anticipation, I remain, Yours sincerely, ***** ***** (Mrs.)

Good afternoon, I can tell you the law but I cannot give you advice without knowing the full financial situation and your sole and joint assets and where you both are domiciled. To do so I would have to charge extra and perhaps deal with the situation properly through my firm.

Good afternoon, do you need any further assistance?

Please contact me if you wish to receive detailed advice so that I can assist you further.

Kind regards


MarianC, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 782
Experience: Expert
MarianC and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much for your latest E:Mail. Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your previous message but I had just learnt of the passing of a very dear friend - the fourth I have lost in just eight weeks - so I am, obviously, very depressed at their loss. My Husband has been having so many problems in trying to get money from his own Bank account in England transferred to his own Bank account on Salamina, where we are confined due to the coronavirus pandemic. Thus, for the time being, could you, please, just tell us "the law". Yours sincerely, ***** ***** (Mrs.)

thank you, ***** ***** very sorry to hear of your loss. I have told you the current IHT exemptions above which is the current law. Whether things will change in the next budget is hard to say, but those are the amounts you can both have in assets before any inheritance tax is payable.