How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11997
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Im with origin broadband and have been for about 3 years and

Customer Question

Im with origin broadband and have been for about 3 years and 2 months ago i went for there tv package. I was not told i would have to start a new contract and my internet doesn't work all the time. I want to go to sky but they are telling me I will have to pay over £600 to leave them. Is this right or is there anything i can do about it
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in shefford bedfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken with them and told them the problems im having trouble with the internet and that i wasnt told i would have to start a new contract and the lady i spoke to called me a liar and told me i must have but my mum was there and they never said anything to me and my phone was on loud speaker
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that i can think of
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am ok with waiting for an answer
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will do my best to resolve this quickly for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

You can allege breach of contract against Origin (you have consumer rights here which have been infringed in my view) due to the poor service.

Given the circumstances of your case I recommend that you make a formal complaint to Origin and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a final response letter (a "deadlock" letter). You can make the complaint here:

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Communications Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with Origin which would hopefully result in a cancellation of the £600 bill. They can also order the phone company to make a financial award if they have acted poorly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service - if they do not provide that then the regulator will step in.

You can escalate to the Ombudsman here:
Or by email: *****@******.***

During the complaint process they shouldn't take any enforcement action against you. If a debt collector contacts you then tell them you are going through the complaints procedure with Origin as you dispute their bill.

If they do sue, you will receive court documents (a response pack) which you must complete and return to the court. It is a tick box exercise for the most part and there is a short section to write a defence which is easy enough though please feel free to come back to this site if you need any more help. A claim will also take 6-12 months to be decided at court. If you lost then you would get 14 days to pay the judgment before the claimant can enforce the order, and 30 days to pay in full before it is registered with credit agencies. The claimant cannot recover legal costs if they win, in a claim under £10K (a small claim), all they can claim are the court fees and interest. If you were unable to pay the full sum owed at that point you can also ask the court to pay by instalments (a simple form is sent in, form N245, and a fee of £50 unless you qualify for a fee exemption so if you are on a low income, have low savings or in receipt of benefits then you would qualify).
I can assist you going forwards if it gets to the point they issue a claim.

I hope this helps and answers the question which is easy to understand - please feel free to ask me anything else. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Thanks for using our services and have a good day,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I’m just checking to see if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or address anything else for you.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I've made a complaint just waiting 4 them 2 respond thank u Jim
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Ah, great. Thanks, ***** ***** informed. Have a good day.