Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I purchased a used car last week from a trader located 170

Customer Question

Hello, I purchased a used car last week from a trader located 170 miles from me. As I'm not a professional, I gauged the car was of satisfactory condition, so took it home. Today, I took the car to a Jaguar specialist who told me the car was unroadworthy, even with the brand new MoT the trader put on it. I spoke to the trader who said they'd take it back to fix it. I don't want this as it is a specialist car and I'm not convinced the work will be carried out to a good standard. There are many holes in the floor of the car, the chassis and sill are all rotten. I wonder if I'm able to use the Consumer Act to get a full refund?
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: It was a trader in Leicester, UK. The car was purchased Thursday last week.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've had two mechanics look at it. Spoke to the trader after to tell him.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 20 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service but rest assured that i will respond within 24 hours.

The Consumers Rights Act 2015 states that where goods sold such as the vehicles are not of satisfactory quality the buyer can exercise a number of remedies available under the law. Remedies such as refund, repairs at no costs, replacement or price reduction can be exercised by the consumer

Do you understand what I have stated so far? If yes I will proceed to discuss the next step.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hello. Thanks for this. I have read about this act. The only problem I foresee is that I do not want the repairs, as I do not believe the trader will do them to a high standard. He said he will get the welding done and cover it with underseal. When this happens you cannot see the quality of workmanship. This is a specialist Jaguar V8 car. Also, the new MoT supplied with the car does not highlight any of the issues and is less than a week old. I do not have faith in the dealer, its repairs or staff as the MoT is, I believe, fake.

Thanks for the further info.

Under the law you are not obliged to go with the option offered by the dealer and you can demand a refund. Therefore if the dealer does not accept your position, you can file a complaint with the trading standards and the motor ombudsman as they can step in to resolve the issue.

Trading standards:https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

Ombudsman:https://www.themotorombudsman.org/

Alternatively you can commence court action against the dealer via the civil court.

With regards ***** ***** action i suggest you return to JA or instruct a lawyer to assist you with this process.

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know. Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** Can you tell me if I can do this without the trader inspecting the vehicle? It's a 300 mile round trip so want to know I'll get the refund if I take it back. Would it support my case if I get an independent mechanic report?

Yes thats a good suggestion as that is good evidence to support your position.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe