How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2219
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I purchased a used car last week from a trader located 170

Customer Question

Hello, I purchased a used car last week from a trader located 170 miles from me. As I'm not a professional, I gauged the car was of satisfactory condition, so took it home. Today, I took the car to a Jaguar specialist who told me the car was unroadworthy, even with the brand new MoT the trader put on it. I spoke to the trader who said they'd take it back to fix it. I don't want this as it is a specialist car and I'm not convinced the work will be carried out to a good standard. There are many holes in the floor of the car, the chassis and sill are all rotten. I wonder if I'm able to use the Consumer Act to get a full refund?
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: It was a trader in Leicester, UK. The car was purchased Thursday last week.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've had two mechanics look at it. Spoke to the trader after to tell him.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 20 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service but rest assured that i will respond within 24 hours.

The Consumers Rights Act 2015 states that where goods sold such as the vehicles are not of satisfactory quality the buyer can exercise a number of remedies available under the law. Remedies such as refund, repairs at no costs, replacement or price reduction can be exercised by the consumer

Do you understand what I have stated so far? If yes I will proceed to discuss the next step.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hello. Thanks for this. I have read about this act. The only problem I foresee is that I do not want the repairs, as I do not believe the trader will do them to a high standard. He said he will get the welding done and cover it with underseal. When this happens you cannot see the quality of workmanship. This is a specialist Jaguar V8 car. Also, the new MoT supplied with the car does not highlight any of the issues and is less than a week old. I do not have faith in the dealer, its repairs or staff as the MoT is, I believe, fake.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 20 days ago.


Thanks for the further info.

Under the law you are not obliged to go with the option offered by the dealer and you can demand a refund. Therefore if the dealer does not accept your position, you can file a complaint with the trading standards and the motor ombudsman as they can step in to resolve the issue.

Trading standards:


Alternatively you can commence court action against the dealer via the civil court.

With regards ***** ***** action i suggest you return to JA or instruct a lawyer to assist you with this process.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 20 days ago.

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know. Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** Can you tell me if I can do this without the trader inspecting the vehicle? It's a 300 mile round trip so want to know I'll get the refund if I take it back. Would it support my case if I get an independent mechanic report?
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 20 days ago.

Yes thats a good suggestion as that is good evidence to support your position.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe