12826847

Do you know about strip searching? In a prison, need advise,

Customer Question

Do you know about strip searching ?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In a prison
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: need advise
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My boyfriend was strip searched whist being in prison with more than two officers. Is this illegal ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 21 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 21 days ago.

is there any reason you think it might not be?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Because there was 4 officers doing it
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
they had the door open so people walking past could see in
Expert:  Jo C. replied 21 days ago.

Thanksfor the information

Strip searches are pretty common. I'm not surewhy it should cause particular consternation. These things happen in prisonreally quite regularly.

The only thing we don't generally do in thiscountry is cavity search

Officers only remove clothing if an inmaterefuses to do it himself and then they must use reasonable force. But there isno limit on the number except that there should be no less than two . They canuse more than that depending on the level of force that was needed

There isn’t normally routine searching but theycan do it upon having reasonable suspicion. There is quit a comprehensive list here

https://www.insidetime.org/wp-content/uploads/resources/PSI/psi-67-2011-searching-person.pdf

Can I clarifyanything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What about if the door was left open ?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Whist the search was taking place ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 21 days ago.

Doors are often left open to reduce the likelihood of allegations and also increase safety.

It should take place in a cell or private place though.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
If you are found with something with that stop you from getting into a category D prison ?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Will *
Expert:  Jo C. replied 21 days ago.

That depends on the Governor. But probably if he is found with prohibited items.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you. Can I come back for advise at anytime ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 21 days ago.

Yes, as long as it is related I can do follow ups.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 21 days ago.

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully,I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions.Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Expert:  Jo C. replied 21 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!”