How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1697
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

Name is kirsty I am living in council property which is my

Customer Question

Hi name is ***** ***** am living in council property which is my brothers. Unfortunately he was murdered on 3rd August. Friday the 6th I was severed eviction notice .I have proof of living here since September last year. I would like to succeed the flat. Please help what are my options and how do I go about it. Kirsty
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No not yet but have some papers of evidence. Also I have just given birth and am under mental health i am also registered disabled
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Hammersmith and Fulham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 24 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 24 days ago.

Hi Kirsty

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Regarding succeeding the Council flat, you can get it in your name.

When a council tenant dies, the secure tenancy passes to the tenant's husband or wife, partner or family member. This is called succession, and the person who gets the tenancy is called the successor.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 24 days ago.

Your right to inherit a council tenancy depends on:

  • your relationship with the tenant

  • the type of tenancy they had

  • when the tenancy started

If you inherit a tenancy, it will be the same type of tenancy as that of the person who died with the same rent and rights.

The council may ask you to provide evidence about who you are, your relationship with the tenant who died and how long you had lived with them.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 24 days ago.

Mostly only one succession is allowed for council tenancies. So, you can get in touch with the council/housing association to get the council tenancy of that flat in your name.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Is there something in law the says landlords cannot evict duing covid till march 2021
Expert:  Vineet S replied 24 days ago.

There is 6 months notice period for evicting all tenants , currently in effect, due to COVID 19.