How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1683
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I have moved out of my student accommodation for 2 reasons.

Customer Question

Hi I have moved out of my student accommodation for 2 reasons. 1. Because of the second lockdown everything at uni has been moved online. 2. Because there was rats in my flat. Is there anything I can do to get my remaining rent payments waived as I have tried contacting them and they’ve refused to do so.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester is where my student accom is
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: All I have done is contacted them as them to waive the rent as my dad has recently lost his job too entering lockdown 2 so I want to be able to support my family financially
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Hi there,

A fixed-term tenancy can be terminated-

by exercising Break clause

or on the expiry of the fixed term tenancy.

Or by surrender of the tenancy in favour of a new tenant , if mutually agreed with the Landlord.

Tenant remains liable for all rent payments till the new tenant takes over the tenancy , in surrender of tenancy.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
what can I do? Find another tenant?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Do I have any other option?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

So, unfortunately , you would not be able to terminate the tenancy on the given 2 grounds. However you can ask for compensation for your inconvenience due to mice infestation.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Yes, you can find a replacement tenant who can take over the tenancy from you.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Provided it is mutually agreed with the Landlord

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you and all the best.