Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We have been delivered an incorrect shower door. On the 9th

Customer Question

We have been delivered an incorrect shower door. On the 9th October/20 I requested the door to be returned. The shower door was supplied by Ripples Bath . I have rung and emailed Ripples several times for this door to be collected. Ripples passed on an email dated 21st October from Shower Lab the door supplier saying the door will be collected in 5 working days. On the 2nd November I emailed Ripples saying the door has not been collected and have had no reply. Please can you let me know how long I have to legally keep this shower door before I can dispose of it? Yours sincerely ***** *****
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Saltford Bristol BS31 3AQ
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: As I said I have rung Ripples several times and emailed
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hi there. So just to clarify the situation, Shower Lab are arranging for the door to be collected? If so, have you contacted them directly at all?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hi there Julia. Please provide the information requested above so that I may assist

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Just to clarify the situation, Shower Lab are arranging for the door to be collected? If so, have you contacted them directly at all?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have not contacted them directly but will do .
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

Your rights will be under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which states that any goods you have purchased must be as described. If they are not, you have the right to reject them for a refund. The law states the following:

“From the time when the right is exercised, the consumer has a duty to make the goods available for collection by the trader or (if there is an agreement for the consumer to return rejected goods) to return them as agreed.”

There is, however, nothing specific about how long the trader has to collect the goods and that means it should all be done within a ‘reasonable time’. I would say 2 weeks minimum is reasonable so what you should do is write to the trader and make it clear that they have 2 weeks to make arrangements for the collection of the goods and specify what will happen at the end of that period if there have been no reasonable attempts to collect them, which would be that you reserve your right to dispose of them. The key is to give them a formal reasonable opportunity to collect it, state the deadline by which this must happen and also what the repercussions would be if they fail to do so.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.