How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7245
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I am getting divorced and, as the father of the two children

Customer Question

Hello, I am getting divorced and, as the father of the two children from our marriage, I would like to know if a family court would recommend a 50/50 residency agreement.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes, they were filed at the end of last week. My wife has contacted a solicitor and we are awaiting mediation.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I am in Kent so I would guess Maidstone would be the nearest court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Everything else has been easily agreed, it is just the issue of residency for the children. My wife is I auditing they live with her insisting
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 22 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** for your patience.

I’ll do my best to assist you today and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

Please be patient with me as I am generally assisting multiple customers at once and this is an email service, but will I will review your question and respond to you as soon as I can, as your question is very important to me. I hope that I can help you resolve your issue today.

Expert:  plclegal replied 22 days ago.

How old are the children please and who has been their main care provider to date?

Expert:  plclegal replied 22 days ago.

Hello. Without the information I asked for, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps. You can always come back to me for clarification if needed.

Essentially it's possible to have a 50/50 care arrangement but it depends on many factors coming together, not least your ability to work with the other parent in a civil manner. The children's best interests are also paramount to any court decision.

The resource here has a lot of helpful information which will help you understand the pros and cons, plus the common pitfalls in 50/50 care:

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If you have specific questions arising from my response, let me know and I’ll happily clarify for you.

In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me and is provided by way of general advice.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread remains open for you.

I am always happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the thread.

Thank you for your trust in our service.

Best wishes,


Expert:  plclegal replied 22 days ago.

I hope that your query has been resolved.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter