Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

With insurance claims for a vehicle accident which was my

Customer Question

With insurance claims for a vehicle accident which was my own fault, can the insurance company authorise an independent company to take an interview, can I refuse it on a video call?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Managers have refused to speak to me, I can not find a lawyer for it
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

It is likely your terms and conditions of your policy states you need to cooperate with your insurer when claim matters arises. Therefore by refusing the video call it could argued you are not cooperative and could result in your policy being cancelled. That said if you have good reason for your refusal especially during the pandemic am sure you and the insurer can consider alternative methods to undertake the interview in question. Other methods could be a telephone interview or a home visit to discuss the matter.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
A home visit would be in violation of the nationwide lockdown so it is not an option, can I not opt for a written questionnaire/interview instead?

You can ask for the questionnaire option and hopefully your insurer accepts your suggestion.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
They have previously twisted the words I have said which is why I would like a different method

Ok hopefully when you mentio such concerns to them they will agree to your suggestion.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
what happens if they refuse and say the only option is a video recording?

You either accept or raise a complaint on why you do not want it.

However you will need to give great reasons why you don't want a video interview where you can make your own notes during the interview.

Like I said if your insurer believe you are not cooperating you run the risk of having your policy cancelled.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
My policy says nothing about cooperating or not cooperating

Does your terms and conditions of the policy state anything about cooperation?

That said I suggest you relay your concerns on why video call is not suitable to your insurer. Once they provide a response you can then consider the next move.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe