How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7234
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I have a problem with the wife who controls all the strings

This answer was rated:

I have a problem with the wife who controls all the strings to my finances
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: guildford in surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted citizens advice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have plenty of assets but no capitol

Hello, my name is***** for your patience.

I’ll do my best to assist you today and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

Please be patient with me as I am generally assisting multiple customers at once and this is an email service, but will I will review your question and respond to you as soon as I can, as your question is very important to me. I hope that I can help you resolve your issue today.

Can you explain why this is an issue? Are you separating for example?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I thought of divorce, but it is far beyond my affordability.

You would be surprised, as you can represent yourself in a divorce the court fees for a divorce and a financial order come in at around £800.

Solicitor fees are where the costs are incurred, and this is simply not necessary.

If you are serious about divorcing, due to unreasonable behaviour for example (which controlling your finances in this way could be classed as), I can give you information about how you can do this yourself. Would that assist?

Let me share some helpful information with you.

The link to the divorce petition application is here:

The fee to apply is £550.

The link here sets out the process and gives an idea of timescales:

This article discusses matrimonial assets and how they may be divded:

The financial application form is here:

This leaflet talks through the financial order:

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If you have specific questions arising from my response, let me know and I’ll happily clarify for you.

In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me and is provided by way of general advice.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread remains open for you.

I am always happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the thread.

Thank you for your trust in our service.

Best wishes,


I hope that your query has been resolved.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can I gain financial control without getting a divorse?

I'm afraid it's very difficult to. You could consider relationship counselling or mediation, as a means to try and make changes though.

plclegal and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you