How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12034
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Is a company registered in Companies House as dormant able

Customer Question

Hello, yes is a company registered in Companies House as dormant able to still collect standing orders from me ?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Reported to action fraud
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was mis-sold a contract in 2018, unreasonable terms buried in tiny writing amoungst a full page of term and conditions. There cancellation policy is to be in writing, twelve months in advance and sent to them by way of recorded delivery only. When I looked into the company they have been registered as dormant for years !
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will do my best to resolve this quickly for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. A dormant company does what it says on the tin - it does not trade, it cannot enter in to contracts, it cannot recover money or do anything. It is dormant for a reason, which is unusually to preserve a company name, preserve intellectual property, or if the directors want a break from running the company. The dormant company is still active, so is still a legal entity, but to answer your question, it should not be doing any business and should not be collecting money from you as it would be trying in that case, which is against the companies act laws - a director can be prosecuted for this. You may want to cancel any standing order and report this to Trading Standards on 0808(###) ###-####

I hope this helps and answers the question which is easy to understand - please feel free to ask me anything else. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Thanks for using our services and have a good day,

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you very much, I will contact Trading Standards now. Have a great day.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 20 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** and you too!