Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

November last year together with wife bought a house.

Customer Question

Good Morning, November last year together with wife bought a house. Somebody gave my personal detail into OPUS ENERGY company. We claim and went back to our npower supplier. However Opus has me as a holder of an account (event if I didn't sign any contract) and blackmail me to pay more than 300 pounds gas bill. Thing is in Opus drop me as a owner at least 5 properties in Peterborough. Together with my wife we have only one house. I called Opus energy lots of times and was trying to explain everything, even paid 50 pounds and few times confirm with consultant my address. Finally they send me email with bill I had paid but on different address and after 8 months they blackmail me again. Could You help me please
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I am currently live in UK. I didn`t contact a lawyer because they blakmail me yesterday again.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Lots of calls to explain that somebody without my permission gave my details Mane surname email mobile number to Opus energy. And when We explain when was a problem they cheated on me with bill I had paid. And they come back to me to force paying not my property gas bills.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have that bill I had paid, with my mail. This is all I know so far.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Initially I would say you have two options:

- https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ - you can complain the regulator about the misadministration of your account;

- Complaint to the ICO - for unlawfully use of your personal data. https://ico.org.uk/

How much loss have you suffered? Have you switched supplier?

Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That bill wasn't not for my property after few calls OPUS ENERGY cheated and as a result I had paid for not my property.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 17 days ago.

Thank I would write to them and say:

- You are putting them on notice- that they are administering your account incorrectly;

- If they do not withdraw the invoice - you reserve the right to complain to their regulator - and hold them accountable for your losses.

Kind regards AJ