How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71364
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Morning I’m customer with ace. Back in July I ordered a

Customer Question

Morning I’m customer with ace. Back in July I ordered a wardrobe it should of come has 2 packages But I only have receive 1 package. I spoke to someone on the phone to arrange for this package to be picked up and I waited for 2 weeks nothing happened so I phoned again and again and again, I still have this half a wardrobe in my dinning. I want it sent back to the suppliers ,, it’s Causing stress I’ve cried over this because
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in camelford Cornwall,,, I’ve been agent with ace for years. I’ve had enough this item is on my balance, my payments are high . My account number for ace 00147886. I’ve phoned so many times. I just want this package picked up and taking off my balance. Yours sincerely ***** *****
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve phoned so many times. And the person at the end of the phone yells me someone’s going to pick it up with in 14 days. It’s November and I still have it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so thank you
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hi there. I am sorry to learn of the difficulty you are having with this this Elaine. Are they able to provide with details of the courier company that will come to collect it?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No sorry it’s who every ace uses
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

The supplier should have arranged for the collection of the incorrect item within 14 days, or at least without unreasonable delay. Whilst you can continue corresponding with them to try and get this resolved, the issue is that you cannot force them to come and collect the package.

In these circumstances you hve the following options:

- Try and keep the package somewhere where it is not inconvenient for you until the collect it

- Arrange for its return yourself and charge the company for these extra costs

- Advise them that if they do not collect it by a certain date, you will dispose of it and still expect a full refund from them.

If it transpires that they are also not going to refund you then you may have to consider taking this further formally for compensation.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.