F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have a cifas marker on my name from 2018. I made a silly

Customer Question

Hi I have a cifas marker on my name from 2018. I made a silly mistake by allowing someone to have access to my account. I’ve spoken to the banks but they are saying the marker still stands. I’m struggling to open a bank account and it’s really affecting my mental health. Please help I don’t know what to do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: the West Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted cifas and the banks involved but they wont do anything. I called the fincinal ombudsman on Friday and they just said to try opening a basic bank account
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I really just need help to be able to have my wages paid in and pay my rent. I’d literally do anything to have to have this piece of mind. The information on the marker isn’t my email or mobile number. I have the persons address and full name
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi thank you
I’m really worried I about this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

Actually I don't think this my area. I will pass this onto my colleague.

Expert:  F E Smith replied 19 days ago.

I have been asked to look at this for you.

Which banks have you applied to for an account and have you asked them for a basic account?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I’ve applied at Halifax, hsbc and a few internet banks I’ve tried a few and have been declined
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I’ve asked for a basic account from Halifax hsbc metro bank and nationwide
Expert:  F E Smith replied 19 days ago.

It’s what you are applying for which is the problem.

You need to apply for a “basic bank account”.

In this day and age, it is essential to have a bank account and that’s why the banks are not allowed to decline a basic account

the relevant legislation is the European Payments Accounts Regulations 2015.

Whoever you have been speaking to probably doesn’t know the law.

The 4 banks who offer the facility and here is the CIFAS webpage on exactly this subject: https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/payment-accounts-database

if you get turned down by anyone of those then make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman service:

There is a process that you need to go through although you can phone them, you will need to put everything in writing

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm:

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 19 days ago.

No problem at all. I am glad to help. Please come back to me at any time if anything needs clarification. Kind regards.