Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I got corona virus in work because Poe wasn’t being used

Customer Question

I got corona virus in work because Poe wasn’t being used even though it was there am I entitled to any pay out of work
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: im not sure but at least six of us got it I’ve got it the worst and I’ve been out of work for six weeks now and I wondered if I’m entitled to any pay
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

How can you prove you got it at work? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I was nowhere else because I never go out and six of us got it at exactly the same time
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I just want advice because I’m by no means well off
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

In order to pursue the employer you will only be able to do so if are going after a personal injury claim.

A personal injury (PI) claim is aimed at claiming compensation for injuries sustained, in order to try and restore the injured person to the position they would have been in had the injury not happened. Obviously, that will often be impossible as the injuries cannot be undone, but at least the injured party can claim for financial compensation to help with the trauma and any medical costs.

For a PI claim to succeed, the injured party has to show the following factors apply:

- that the other party owed them a duty of care;

- that such duty of care was breached, either deliberate or negligently;

- that the breach caused them to suffer an injury;

- that such injuries were reasonably foreseeable in the circumstances. The injuries could be either physical or mental, or both.

There are two types of compensation that can be claimed for:

- General damages - based upon medical evidence and the amount depends on how the injuries affect the claimant now and how they will affect them in the future.

- Special damages - designed to put the claimant back in the financial position they were in as if the accident had never occurred.

In terms of taking this further, due to the technical nature of PI claims, it is always recommended to use a specialist lawyer to help with the claim. Many can offer free initial advice and then can also consider taking the claim on a no-win-no-fee basis if they believe there are decent prospects of success.

A search for qualified lawyers can be made here:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Another option worth considering is the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL), a not-for-profit association of solicitors, barristers and academics who specialise in personal injuries work (https://www.apil.org.uk)

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.