Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

My daughter and son in law, with 2 children under 5, have

Customer Question

my daughter and son in law, with 2 children under 5, have been unemployed and claiming universal credit, which also pays their council tax. My daughter now has a job paying £23,000pa. How would it affect their universal credit if I, aged 73, moved in. I have a student house in Wales and my gross income is £22,000.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I dont think so thank you
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 17 days ago.

Hello, thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time however, I will respond to your question today. I look forward to assisting you.

This question will not be possible to be answered without an assessment. It will also depend if parts of the UC are means tested etc.

However, the best thing you can do is enlist the help of the Citizens Advice Bureau. They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter. If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you. The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP. This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment. If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the future, please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.