Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I’ve been off with stress for 6 weeks and still am off and

Customer Question

Hi I’ve been off with stress for 6 weeks and still am off and I’ve had a letter come through about grievance that has been raised about me while I’ve been in the sick? Is this normal and ok to do from a work place?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Letter only came this morning about grievances I am not sure what they are and a threat to my job
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee and no union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do I have to attend meeting Monday as requested
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

What are you ideally hoping to achieve in the circumstances, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Can a work place legally make you go to a meeting bearing in mind your on the sick with stress and have already contacted work saying work colleges are adding to the stress your already under
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

If you are off sick, then you are not only not capable of performing your duties for the time being, but it should also include any ither work-related activities. Therefore, the employer should not expect you to attend workplace meetings, like a grievance or other hearings.

What they should be doing is adjourning the meeting until you are either certified fit to return to work, or you and the employer arrange mutually to hold it when you are ready to do so, even if still off sick.

They can still inform you about the complaint and the procedure that they are following as a result. However do not hesitate to advise the employer that you are not in the right frame of mind currently to be dealing with formal meetings and that they place this process on hold until you are fit to continue with it.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.