How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17641
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

If the Sporting Rights and Shooting Rights attached to a

This answer was rated:

If the Sporting Rights and Shooting Rights attached to a woodland we’re sold would there be a record of this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in Leicester but the woodland in question is in Derbyshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: just looked through all the documents I have since it was sold in 1954
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

to clarify -

and who was it sold to?

why are you asking - are you selling?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The wood was sold to me .
I am trying to sell it now but the local farmer says he has the shooting rights.when I bought it another gentleman wanted to buy the shooting rights from me.

There are very often all the rights attached to a piece of land.

The most common are fishing rights any mineral rights.

In respect of fishing rights, the adjacent to a river extends to the centre line of the river. However the right to fish in the water and access the riverbank for that purpose can be sold separately either to the inclusion or the exclusion of the landowner of the bank.

The same applies in respect of the rights to the opposite bank up to the midway of the river.

With mineral rights, it is often, in areas with valuable minerals such as copper iron lead or coal, that the mineral rights to the land are excluded. Under my old house, I was not allowed to mine for coal or lead because those rights have been reserved to an owner from a long time ago.

Those rights are capable of being sold.

Exactly the same thing applies in respect of this land and the shooting rights.

The shooting rights (or mineral rights or fishing rights) automatically attach to the land UNLESS they have been reserved to a seller in a previous sale (however long ago) and they are capable of them being sold separately.

If the local farmer says that he has shooting rights, and there is nothing registered in any preregistration title deeds, and nothing registered at the land registry, then you need to ask the farmer to produce proof that he has the shooting rights.

Without that, the local farmer is going to have an uphill struggle.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Thank you.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you very much it’s as I thought.

No problem at all. I am glad to help. Please come back to me at any time if anything needs clarification. Kind regards.

F E Smith and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you