How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12027
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My business has had a problem customer who tried to claim a

Customer Question

my business has had a problem customer who tried to claim a large amount of money from me as compensation for faulty goods, when the customer realized i wasnt going to pay because the goods were not faulty he withdrew his claim,simply a scam, in retaliation he has left a load of lies about my business on yell and they wont remove them, can i sue the customer ? regards.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: balckrod, manchester.
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: for example ?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will do my best to resolve this quickly for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. Yes, you can sue for defamation. First though, send him a cease and desist letter to demand he removes his comments online.

A template “cease and desist” letter is available at

If you go to the search box in the top right corner of the site, it will bring up a list - you want the "general" letter.

You can use your own letter if you wish - it just has to make it clear this is a cease and desist letter, that you demand they stop their conduct and remove their review, and that if they do not within 7 days you will apply to the court for the injunction and seek your costs.

A defamation claim requires that someone has either verbally said something (slander), or written something (libel) which was untrue and they knew it to be untrue - with the intention to damage your reputation. The untrue comments have to be brought to a third party’s attention to qualify.
There is a defence if the person who made the comments can prove the comments were true, or they held an honest belief their comments were true.

The limitation period is only 1 year for a defamation claim, so ensure you issue the claim at court within a year of the comments being made.

These claims are complex with them being heard in the High Court so you would be well advised to instruct a firm on a no win no fee basis - a few do offer this so you would not have to pay anything up front. Here are examples of law firms who could help you with this :

I hope this helps and answers the question which is easy to understand - please feel free to ask me anything else. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Thanks for using our services and have a good day,

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you very much..I will move forward now
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks, ***** ***** good evening