How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3501
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I am mother to two children and been with my partner for 9

Customer Question

I am mother to two children and been with my partner for 9 yrs we have a house together which we have sold but the house is in his name hes paid all the bills and mortgage as I was on maternity leave when moved in dependents are 5 and 3 yrs old. He earns over 150k in commission as not married I only work part time and mum housewife where do I stand legally in any of this
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet i don't know what I need to do I will be moving Into rented which he has agreed to pay
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Bristol
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much maintenance everything would he need to pay me
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 20 days ago.

Hi, I'm Lea

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. You state that you have a house together which you have sold - have you received any of the funds from this?

Have you already split up?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The house is sold funds transaction not completed
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Pending contracts
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 20 days ago.

Is he intending to give you a share?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
We have not discussed he is very angry at moment
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 20 days ago.

Firstly, as the property was in his name, you're not entitled to any of it. So if he chooses not to give you anything, there isn't anything you can do about it - for yourself. In relation to your children, you could make a Schedule 1 Children Act 1989 claim against the property/funds as the children will need to be rehoused.

You are entitled to claim child maintenance from him - you can either agree this between yourselves, or you can apply to the Child Maintenance Service - see here:

You can calculate likely entitlement here, but it only goes up to a certain income level - anything above that CMS cannot deal with and you may need to make a Schedule 1 application as per the property above.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay thnaks so much for all this advice
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 20 days ago.

You're very welcome.

I hope that things work out well for you.

Thank you for using Just Answer.