Andrew
Andrew, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
107536658

Our local pub is having a lot of trouble with one neighbour

Customer Question

Our local pub is having a lot of trouble with one neighbour who is determined to make as many complaints as possible about the pub's activities and customers. The neighbour is trying to sell his house, so is there a way to ensure that he is aware of his responsibilities to declare such a dispute. How does the pub actually register the complaints as a dispute?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: not that i am aware of. I am not personally involved but am another neighbour who can see this is all very unreasonable
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: across the road from the pub and directly opposite
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just trying to give the pub landlord some help in resolving the problem
Expert:  Andrew replied 23 days ago.

Hi, if the neighbour is selling, surely the problem will go away?

Do you know if the neighbour has sold through an Estate Agent?

Andrew

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
One would think so, but he seems to be stepping up the level of complaints before he leaves. It seems very personal and I am suggesting that the landlord use the neighbour dispute issue as a possible lever to stop it
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I am just an interested party - do not want to spend any more than £5
Expert:  Andrew replied 23 days ago.

Thanks. Well, the person will be under a duty to disclose to their Buyer of any dispute (this is one of the questions on the Property Information Form which a Seller completes). If he has sold through an Estate Agent, the publican would be entitled to send them a short note to confirm the dispute and the Agents would then be under a duty to disclose the dispute to any interested potential Buyers.

I hope this assists.

Kind Regards

Andrew