12826847

I got in to an argument with neighbour, the police officer

Customer Question

Hi I got in to an argument with neighbour , the police officer told me my mum and brother gave a statement against you , i asked my mum he said no , no police officer come to our house , can a police officer lie to you like that , I’m confident my mum did not make any such statement , I did nothing wrong why would she
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nine she was just asking me questions
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she told me a few other things with a know are not true , I was at work it’s impossible
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I was not charged with any thing
Expert:  Jo C. replied 23 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Can a police officer lie to you like that
Expert:  Jo C. replied 23 days ago.

I am sorry but I cannot giveyou good news. I'm afraid you are in difficulty here.

I have to tell you the truth.

Clearly it is an ethical for them to do this butit isn't unlawful. The Constabulary do not officially encourage it although itis an absolute widespread practice.

This isn't even really a lie with intent toget you to come down to the police station or whatever. This is a totallybizarre lie

I am sorry but I have to tellyou the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you myopinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion.Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting tolose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even thoughthey have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a goodchance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to everylegal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a countycourt judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard inthe magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok thanks , so it’s a wide spread practice , I could have got in to an argument with my mum and brother , I’ve lost respect for the police , thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 23 days ago.

The other issue here is that this is fairly colloquial speech andhe may have just meant to refer to an off the cuff comment rather than a formalstatement.

But yes they are very heavy handed with domestic rows

Expert:  Jo C. replied 22 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!”