Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Family law, Uk, First hearing, No

Customer Question

Family law
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: First hearing
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have a final contested hearing about child arrangements in 2 days time. The respondent still hasn’t sent her statement in and I believe this is a tactical move so that I am unprepared on the day of the hearing with any comeback and for me to make rash decisions on the spot. I’m a litigant in person so is she. The court has said regardless of her sending a statement in the hearing will go ahead. I was late sending my statement in but that’s was because I never received their order which was sent by post, as soon as I got it though I sent it back the same day. The respondent has had 15 days at least to return hers. What should I do?
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 14 days ago.

Hello, thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time however, I will respond to your question today. I look forward to assisting you.

The Judge will be aware (and unimpressed) that the respondent has not submitted their defences. However, you will have to go along. The judge will be asking questions about the situation etc. and will ask what he/she requires to in order to make a determination on the matter. It could also be the case that the Judge will ask for reports to be done etc. if this is still required at this stage. However, if a decision is going to be made then the judge will ask what is required. You will want to inform the Judge that you have not receive this documentation and ask if the court has. You could then ask for time to consider it if one has been sent tot eh court that morning etc. However, despite the actions of the respondent all you can really do at this stage is go along and inform the Judge of the position you are in. This will not reflect well on the respondent.

I will provide you with a helpful link which will allow your to find a solicitor near you local area who will be able to assist you with this matter.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the future, please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Ok thankyou

You are welcome and I wish you all the best.