How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1499
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
John is online now

Our tenancy agreement terminates on december 2nd the

Customer Question

Our tenancy agreement terminates on december 2nd the inventory had been done the day we signed the lease ,we never saw it and of course did not sign it .
At our request the letting agent sent it to us to day and it is full of errors . We have rented this very expensive apt in st james's for 2 years paying one year in advance .From the day we moved in ,the problems started .,The refrigerator was dead and we had to wait 2 months for it to be replaced .We could obviously not stay in the apt at that time and the numerous e mails sent to the managing agent are a proof of the numerous complaints we formulated Do you think we have serious grounds to recuperate our deposit in full considering that we have not occasioned any damage to the flat and that we even installed at our expense beautiful wood made to measure wardrobes .
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for your message. Was the deposit protected?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

Ok thank you.

I do believe you have good grounds to request your deposit in full if no damage has been occasioned. However, from your message above, the issue is, there is a dispute if damaged was occasioned or not. To this effect, if it cannot be resolved, it needs to go through the protection schemes dispute resolution service and referred to an impartial adjudicator. You’ll both be asked to provide evidence, and the decision made about your deposit will be final. The TDP scheme will refund your deposit in full if the dispute resolution service agrees. Therefore I would implore you to obtain evidence to substantiate your reasons.

Additionally, the agency sounds like they have provided you with poor service which I am sorry to hear. Please note, every agency should belong to one of two redress schemes. They are The Property Ombudsman and The Property Redress Scheme To find out which one they belong, please ask them, or check on their website. You will need to first write a letter of complaint directly to the agency. If they do not respond to your satisfaction, I would suggest you escalate the complaint to the redress scheme above. The redress schemes are free and are designed to resolve disputes like this without the need to go to court.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John.