Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Does a uk bank/currency exchange company have the legal

Customer Question

does a uk bank/currency exchange company have the legal right to look at bank statements from an account abroad?
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: they have a legal team, the country is canada. The person lives in the Uk but has a bank in canada too
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: they have sent a letter asking for money they believe they are owed. threatening to have a judge order
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: are they allowed to look into the account abroad?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

They are entitled to ask if it's for money laundering purposes.

They have to be satisfied as to the source of the funds

But if you do not give permission, they can not do anything.

They can not look into an account abroad without your express permission.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can they legally look at transactions if they also have a bank situated in Canada to? (not the same bank )
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

No, not without your consent.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If they take the matter to a judge in the UK, will they be able to gain consent? Currently, they are saying they refunded something and I am disputing this, are they able to prove it?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

In theory, but a Judge would not grant an order without you being able to make representations.

And only would be granted where criminal behaviour was suspected.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
they are saying they wrongfully refunded an amount and that I should have seen this and returned it, but I have not received a refund but feel worried that they will try and accuse me of stealing this refund. What representations would I need to make ideally?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

There is a criminal offence of wrongfully receiving a credit.

But that is what they should do. They are not entitled to see it.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sorry I don't follow with your second sentence, "but that is what they should do"? what may entitle them to see?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

If they say there is a crime, they should report it to the Police.

But you do not need to do anything. They can not have access.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
if it were reported to the police, what action is likely to be taken? Their email has given 30 days to repay money they say is owed. followed with "may commence legal action collect" and "obtain a judgement against you" Does that mean involve police? Or try to collect a debt?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

I really can't say what the Police may or may not do. Telepathy is not a matter of law sadly.

They can collect the debt if you had money to which you were not entitled.

They could bring a civil claim against you.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
haha! very sad. - So I'm sure they probably did refund the amount on their end, but the company is notorious for having disputes about money transfers going missing, how likely are they to bring a civil claim over £5,000 ($9000 CAD)? And if it were to be a civil claims case, would then gain access to the Canadian account? I am trying to decide if I should begin disputing or if I should just ignore them, as Interacting may cause more stress
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Again I can't say whether they will or will not bring a claim.

It's a commercial decision for them.

But they won't have access even if a Court claim

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ive just noticed ive been charged £50 for this, I only consent to £5 that was mentioned to me?
How is that possible?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Sadly any billing questions need to be directed at customer services. I have no control nor access to that part of the system