james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Am I commiting an offence if I park infront of my neighbours

Customer Question

Hi, am I commiting an offence if I park infront of my neighbours driveway? There are 4 parking spaces at the front of his house. The garden wall was taken down and the footpath lowered, wide enough for four cars. There are two parking spaces on the roadside infront of my home. My new neighbour has taken to parking in one of these spaces. His wife's car and a trailer are on his front yard. Leaving ample room for him. On returning from shopping I parked on the roadside blocking his trailer, (which has not moved since the day they moved in, 9 months ago) while I unloaded my shopping and put my frozen stuff away. He stood shaking his head at me. I couldn't believe it. So..my question, am I breaking any laws or risking a fine if I park infront of his house?
Expert:  james bruce replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Despite popular thoughts, no one actually has a legal right to park on the road outside their house, unless they have a designated parking bay such a a disabled bay.

You are allowed to park outside a neighbours or any other house as long as you wish, so long as the car is taxed and not abandoned.

However, If someone is blocking your driveway, or their wheel is over the dropped kerb, they are committing a parking offence and can be ticketed.

A strange twist of the law, but I would not recommend it because it is confrontational, it is NOT an offence for you to actuated park your car in your neighbour front garden parking space.

It is a civil matter of trespass. As the car would be off the road, the council would not come and move it as long as it is taxed and not abandoned. The Police, would acknowledge that it is a trespass but that is civil and not their responsibility. The neighbour would actually have to go to court to obtain an eviction notice to have the car removed. The neighbour would not be able to move it and if they did could be liable to criminal damage.

So next time they are being inconsiderate and parking outside your property when they have plenty of space of their own? I am sure that would cause a lot of head shaking.

But just to remind you, yes blocking a driveway could lead to a ticket.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. He's a big ugly bully that never smiles. I can't wait to see his face if i actually dare to park on his front. Laugh my socks off. Have a good day.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.