How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71378
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I secured the services of a cleaning company to deep clean

This answer was rated:

Hi , I secured the services of a cleaning company to deep clean my house whilst I was in hospital they agreed a price and asked for 50 % payment up front which I supplied , the night before they were due to arrive they text me to say there had been a problem and could they rearrange for a later date . I replied that this was not possible as I was being discharged from hospital following extensive surgery for cancer and was therefore having to isolate . I requested my deepest returnees which they advised would be possible as this was their fault and have since chosen to continue saying they would return the deposit but to date I have recieved no funds can I do anything
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Cornwall
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted them both in witting and by phone
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it wasn’t a large amount £225 but has meant my hone was not deep cleaned as id requested to benefit my health and recovery

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thanks Ben

Hi there. I am sorry to learn of the difficulty you are having with this. How long ago was this please? and do you have their trading address?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They weee paid the deposit on 21st October and supposed to complete the job on the 2nd November

OK thank you, ***** ***** you have their business address?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Nationwide uk cleaningHead Office Address:*****Pride Park
DE24 8AN
United Kingdom

OK thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

If money is owed by one party to another, the debtor can potentially be taken to court to try and force them to pay up. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the money that is owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The debtor will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the debtor that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial repayment.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.