How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71425
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I need advice please. I was bullied a year ago at my work

This answer was rated:

Hi I need advice please. I was bullied a year ago at my work (school) after false allegations were made against me and then the lady in management breached my confidentiality which resulted in the ladies setting upon me and causing me to have a breakdown.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I went to Unison but because I had the police incolved at the time and I have a crime number they gave me Unison said they could not help.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I have since been told there is nothing I can do as it was a year ago but I was only bullied because of the breaching.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am now unemployed and under the dr and I've had to have counciling as a result.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. I am sorry to learn of the situation you are in. Did you resign from your position? and how long had you worked there for?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hello I was let go in their words as there was not sufficient information to cover my sickness. There was as I had a sicknote and I emailed them to say I was too unwell to make any meetings.

OK thank you, ***** ***** long had you worked there for please? Also, what is your specific query in relation to this so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I need to let you know before hand that I am financially broke and cannot afford anything.

Don’t worry about the pop-up mentioning a phone call – this is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However it is entirely optional and you have already paid for a written response so we will continue in writing on here at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I worked there for about 15 years I know who it was who made the allegations as I found proof on my mums phone when she passed away suddeny last year
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It was my brother which the police know.

OK I understand. So what are you ideally hoping to achieve given the circumstances, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The school will have nothing to do with any of it.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Surely I can get something done about the breaching?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It ruined my life, my confidence and I was told My mental health was a concern to them. I was laughed at and made fun of.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It's because of the breaching that I got harassed and bullied in the first place.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I feel very let down by the school

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

As far as the termination itself is concerned, you are out of time as you only have 3 months from the date you leave to take it further in the Employment Tribunal, so you are out of time to do so.

If your confidentiality was broken then that is still something you can potentially pursue now. The latest version of the Data Protection Act (DPA) is the current legislation on data protection. It outlines certain principles for individuals and organisations to adhere to when they process an individual’s personal data. Any information from which an individual is personally identifiable will amount to personal data. If a party has acted in contravention of the DPA, the person whose rights have been breached could potentially take things further and even seek compensation for damages.

The first step is to consider reporting the alleged breach to the organisation in breach to see if things can be resolved directly with them, without the need to involve anyone else.

If that is unsuccessful, the next step is to consider reporting this to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). They are the regulatory body that deals with data protection breaches and have certain powers at their disposal to deal with them, such as imposing fines and sanctions. However, they will not award compensation to the victim so the only way to try and do this is by personally going through court.

What the ICO can do, if a breach is reported to them, is order the company to do any of the following:

- impose a temporary or indefinite ban on the processing of data

- force them to comply with your request

- provide any required information

- warn and admonish

- order rectification, erasure or destruction of specific data

- impose severe financial penalties and fine the company in breach

If the victim wanted to take formal legal action, they may do so and issue a claim in the civil courts. There is no need to show that financial losses have been incurred and compensation can be sought for mere distress caused by the alleged breach. The level of compensation will depend on the severity of the breach and the effects it has had on the victim. As this is often a complex area, it is advisable to seek further professional advice on the applicable rights and options.

Ben Jones and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you so much. So would you be able to act on my behalf to look into this for me please? I have no money but would be happy to do a no win no fee application or do I have to contact the ICO myself?Regards

I’m afraid I won’t be able to – we are just an online chat service, we cannot act for you in any capacity, I can just point you in the right direction from here