Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Restrictive covenants, Hull, i have been offered another job

Restrictive covenants
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hull
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: i have been offered another job but my current job says I have restrictive covenants and therefore they say annoy leave
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I handed my notice in and they have come back with the fact I signed a contract back in 2003 I hasten to add with these covenants
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I’m and employee and not with any union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just where I stand as I feel this is now restraining me from working

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. Please copy and paste the relevant clauses on here

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
See attached

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I need whatever you have to advise to be in writing also
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also this contract was signed in 2003 under my maiden name I have since remarried not sure that makes any difference

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

It is common for employment contracts to contain post-termination restrictive covenants, which restrict the employee’s activities once their employment terminates. An employer would understandably want to protect their business from a departing employee's knowledge of confidential information, business connections, influence over clients, suppliers, staff, etc. However, a covenant that restricts an employee's post-termination activities will be automatically unenforceable by being in restraint of trade, unless the employer can show that it was there to protect a legitimate business interest and did so in a reasonable way.

The first thing to consider is what legitimate business interests (LBIs) can the employer try and protect? The most common ones are:

- Goodwill (trade connections with customers and suppliers)

- Trade secrets and confidential information

- Stability of the workforce (preventing poaching of employees)

If they are trying to protect an LBI, any relevant restriction must be drafted no wider than is reasonably necessary to protect that interest. Generally, the courts would try and balance the interests of the employer's business and the employee’s right to freedom of movement and earning a living. Also I note that they are for 2 years in your case, which can be quite long and can also make it more difficult to enforce.

Non-solicitation covenants are used to prevent an employee from enticing away their ex-employer’s clients. Solicitation generally requires a direct and specific appeal to a client to encourage them to transfer their business; and a personal connection to be able to influence such a move in the first place. There has to be a positive act by the employee such as to "tempt, lure or persuade” the client to do business with them. Ideally, the restriction should be limited to specific customers with whom the employee had contact during a specified period before leaving, or with which they enjoy a close business relationship. If the employee initially brought the clients to the employer when they started working there will not in itself stop a non-solicitation covenant from applying, although it may be a factor relevant to the length of the restriction. Also, if a client no longer wants to do business with the former employer, that will not be relevant in deciding whether or not to uphold the restriction.

Non-competition covenants prevent an employee from working with a competing business or setting up to work in competition with their ex-employer. A covenant simply wishing to prevent competition will not be enforceable, especially as competition is generally seen as healthy for consumer rights. However, a non-competition covenant trying to protect an LBI can be. Such covenants will generally only be reasonable if in the process of working in competition, the employee uses trade secrets or sensitive confidential information belonging to their ex-employer, or their influence over clients is so great that such a restriction is necessary. The duration of the restriction can be important, with 6 months usually seen as the maximum in standard situations and anything longer can be seen as unreasonable.

Restrictive covenants are often used as a scare tactic by employers, hoping that an ex-employee will simply not attempt to breach them in order to avoid potential legal trouble. However, if the restrictions are allegedly breached, the employer has the right to take the matter further. The following legal remedies are available to them:

- Injunction – an order of the court to stop the ex-employee from doing certain things that would make them in breach of the restrictive covenants, such as not to contact certain clients, not to use certain confidential information or not to work for a specific competitor. It can also instruct them to deliver up certain confidential information, which they may have tried to use

- Damages - compensation for loses which have directly resulted from the breach of the covenants, although it would only be possible if such losses are identifiable. This will normally include loss of profits on contracts or opportunities, which have diverted by the employee. It is potentially also possible to make a claim against the ex-employee’s new employer, if they had knowingly or intentionally induced the employee to breach their covenants

In summary, there are various factors which deal with the reasonableness and enforceability of restrictive covenants. Whether a specific restriction is enforceable will always depend on the individual circumstances, the interest being protected and whether it has been reasonably drafted. In the end, only a court can decide if a covenant is legally enforceable, so unless the employer goes to court and succeeds, they will only be able to rely on the employee’s own compliance with the restrictions.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Brilliant thank you for this information however how best is it to respond to their email regarding this please

Hello, thank you for your further queries, I will be happy to answer these. Whilst I cannot draft a response for you, you should try and use the information I supplied above to make it clear that the restrictions are unlikely to be enforceable in law due to being a likely restraint of trade

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you Ben ��

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best