12826847

I had the Met Police at my flat door accusing me of banging

I had the Met Police at my flat door accusing me of banging on another tennats door which I did not. Iam 72 yoa and my wife is 68 this has caused me very serious emotional distress as I have not had any interreaction with a policeman in 72 years.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hello I am in Highgate North London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Officially complained to the Met Police and also told my local MO and councillor what happend I also want to take this tennant to court because of emotional distress he has caused me.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The Met Police where let into the building containing flats and the first I knew they were knocking on my door. They interviewed me without masks and said if the incident happened again they would arrest me.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Do you think I have a strong enough case to take the tennant to the small claims court for emotional distress

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news. I'm afraid you are in difficulty here.

I have to tell you the truth.

In short, no.

This is not something for which you can claim. Having the police attend in search of somebody else is not a tort in the UK sadly.

I’m very sorry but these are just the vicisitudes of life.

I do appreciate that having undesirable people as a neighbour is not particularly nice but it does not give rise to a claim in compensation.

There is no other decision that could have been made here. A prosecution would have been unlawful

I am sorry but I have to tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your time.

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully,I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions.Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!”