Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

A manager at a hotel keeps telling me what to were, premier

A manager at a hotel keeps telling me what to were
JA: Where is the manager? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: premier inn hotels
JA: What steps has the manager taken so far?
Customer: he stops me and says I need to were them
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i asked for him to show me the rules he said no

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. What are you being asked to wear and what is the company policy on workwear/uniform?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
A mask

OK thank you, ***** ***** you exempt from wearing a mask for any medical conditions? Can I also just check, how long have you worked for this employer please?

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have no exempt I am a guest

Ok so why are you not willing to wear a mask?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It make me feel sick and dizzy

Thank you very much for clarifying. Whilst venues are not legally obliged to require any formal proof of exemption or illness to allow you to avoid the mask rules, if they still insist you wear a mask the only way for you to challenge them is under disability discrimination . However, to qualify for such protection you must be considered disabled in the first place.

The legal definition of a ‘disability’ can have a broad meaning and there is no single list of medical conditions that can qualify. Potentially, any condition or ailment can amount to a disability if it meets the required criteria.

That criteria are contained in The Equality Act 2010, which defines a disability as a “physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.

I will break this definition down and examine it in more detail below:

- Physical or mental impairment – this can include practically any medical condition, be it a physical or mental impairment

- Substantial effect – the effect must be more than minor or trivial

- Long-term - the impairment must either have lasted or be likely to last for at least 12 months

- Normal day-to-day activities – these could include anything considered ‘normal’ in a person's normal daily routine (e.g. shopping, reading and writing, having a conversation or using the telephone, watching television, getting washed and dressed, preparing and eating food, carrying out household tasks, walking and travelling by various forms of transport, and taking part in social activities)

Please also take a look at this detailed guide on determining if you are disabled:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/discrimination-at-work/checking-if-its-discrimination/check-if-youre-disabled-under-the-equality-act/

If a person satisfies the necessary criteria, they will be classified as being disabled in a legal sense and will have automatic protection against discrimination. This means that they must not be treated unfavourably because of their disability. That would be the only way to challenge the hotel if they are unfairly not allowing you to be maskless.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.