james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I was a executive in a friends will,i distributed the will

i was a executive in a friends will,i distributed the will as requested.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: now the DWP ARE ASKING FOR AROUND 9000,00 AND TELLING ME IF I CANNOT GET IT BACK OF THE PEOPLE I PAID IT TOO I WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PAYMENT MYSELF
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none as of yet they gave me 28 days to pay it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.

The DWP can ask the executor to provide detailed financial information. This can include bank statements and savings accounts. They can request information as far back as 12 years. Once they have made their initial assessment they also has the right to request further information if they need clarification.

As an executor, it is your responsibility to send the DWP a full list of the assets and liabilities as at the date of death. This needs to be done swiftly and as accurately as possible. Understandably, beneficiaries may struggle to understand the delay and press for distribution. However, failure to disclose information to the DWP or obtain clearance from them will mean that any repayment liability will fall upon the executor. The executor is personally liable for any repayment.

If the executor has already distributed the estate to the beneficiaries, it remains the executor’s personal responsibility to recover the money.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.